(Student comment ADL636, March, 2018)

After reading the assignments for Week One in ADL 636, my anxiety rose a few levels. An infographic? I have to design an infographic? Are you kidding? I’m not a numbers girl or a data girl. I was sure I couldn’t do it.  But, Dr. Tolbert put my fears to rest during our first Zoom meeting on Tuesday night, as she reviewed each assignment and exactly what was required. And, yes indeed, I would have to design an infographic, but after reviewing briefly how much we had already learned in this Digital Literacy Specialty, I found the idea less and less daunting. In fact, I realize I’ve always wanted to create an infographic. I love making my assignments look visually pleasing on the page, whether on paper or on screen. 

In something we read for ADL 634 they discussed the zone of proximal development.(I hope I got the name right?) You want your students to be challenged, but not so much that they give up. You don’t want the goal to be too far out of reach. You must find that “zone” or you will lose your students. This all tied back to my work with the Assessment Literacy Specialty when Stiggins (I believe) warned us not to let students get discouraged. Students have been tested to death. We need to find a way to encourage them, motivate them, make them feel safe and confident in their ability to learn. Give them the reins. Allow them to determine where they want to go and encourage them to get there. It’s all coming back to me now. I learned a lot in Assessment Literacy.
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog